224 W. Winton Avenue
Hayward, CA 94544
Contra Costa County
Charles G. Go, Ph.D. serves as a 4-H Youth Development Advisor for the University of California Agricultural and Natural Resources (UCANR) in Alameda and Contra Costa Cooperative Extension offices. He is responsible for the education, extension, and research, with emphasis on fostering positive youth development and overall youth well-being within the context of the community. Participants (youth and their families) gain citizenship, leadership and life skills helping them to become contributing and productive citizens. His latest activities focus on sustaining and strengthening the 4-H Youth Development Club Program, fostering Healthy Living in low-income youth and increasing Agri-Science literacy in urban youth settings.
SpecialtyApplied research and extension of knowledge in the areas of fostering and implementing programs that focus on youth life skills development and working with communities to build capacities to support youth development.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Program and Project Support, Administration, and Communication
- Program and Project Design, and Statistics
- Human Nutrition, Food Safety, and Human Health and Well-Being
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Obesity Prevention
- Families, Youth, and Communities
- Human Development and Family Well-Being
- Youth Development
- Economics, Markets, and Policy
- Consumer Economics
- Community Resource Planning and Development
- Youth Development
- 4-H Program
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Go C., Neelon M., Kok C., Robinson D., Wooten-Swanson P., Soule, K. (2018). "Discover Healthy Eating Habits and Stay on Budget." California Agriculture IN PRESS - Accepted May 9, 2018
- Neelon M., Go C., Kok C., Robinson D., Wooten-Swanson P., Soule, K. (2018). "Eating On A Budget 101." California Agriculture IN PRESS - Accepted for Publication August 29, 2018
- Worker, S., Hill, R., Miller, J., Go, C., Boyes, R. (2015). "Exploring the Effectiveness of a Retreat Method for Extension Staff." Journal of Extension 53(6)
- Go, C.; Varcoe, K. (2012). Money Savvy Youth: Evaluating the Effectiveness of Financial Education for Fourth and Fifth Graders. Federal Reserve Board of SF Working Paper Series. http://www.frbsf.org/publications/community/wpapers/
- Peterson, S.; Roche, B. (2011). Hunger Attack Leaderâs Guide. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Peterson, S.; Roche, B. (2011). Hunger Attack Teen Guide. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Cortz, S.; Wooten-Swanson, P. (2011). Savings Made Simple Leaderâs Guide. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Peterson, S.; Wooten-Swanson, P. (2011). Savings Made Simple Teen Guide. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Wassenberg, K.; Johns, M. (2009). Dealing the Cards of Credit. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Peterson, S.; Johns, M. (2009). Hunger Attack! UCCE ANR Publication.
- Wassenberg, K.; Johns, M. (2009). Keys to Credit. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Peterson, S.; Johns, M. (2009). My Money Personality. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Wassenberg, K.; Go, C. (2009). Savings Account Strategies. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Peterson, S.; Johns, M. (2009). Savings Made Simple. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Wassenberg, K.; Go, C. (2009). Taking Charge of Your Own Checking Account. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Wassenberg, K.; Go, C. (2009). The E-Banking Experience. UCCE ANR Publication.
- Varcoe, K.; Martin, A. (2008). Using a Financial Education Curriculum for Teens article originally from Financial Counseling and Planning Journal was reprinted in book. Financial Literacy for Children and Youth.
- Go, C.; Le, T. (2005). "Gender Differences in Cambodian Delinquency: The Role of Ethnic Identity, Parental Discipline, and Peer Delinquency." Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 51(2): 220-237.
- Go, C. and Murdock, S. (2005). Recruiting and retaining middle school youth in after-school programs: Best practices from the field. CYFERnet. http://cyfernet.ces.ncsu.edu/cyfres/browse_3.php
- Varcoe, K.; Martin, A. (2005). "Using A Financial Education Curriculum For Teens." Financial Counseling and Planning Journal 16(1)
- Go, C. (2004). Everyone Can Build Assets. California Park & Recreation Society. www.cprs.org
- Go, C.; Murdock, S. (2004). Recruiting and retaining middle school youth in after-school programs: research results. http://groups.ucanr.org/outschcare/How_to_Improve_your_Afterschool_Project/Strengthen_your_Program.htm
- Go, C.; Lee, F. (2004). Vulnerability and Resilience of Youth: What you can do. California Park & Recreation Society. www.cprs.org
- Go, C.; Murdock, S. (2003). "To Bully-Proof or Not to Bully-Proof: That is the question." Journal of Extension 41(2)
- Varcoe, K.; Peterson, S. (2002). "Teaching Teens How to Manage their Money: A Project of the Money 2000 +." California Agriculture 56(2)
- Go, C.; Kariger, P. (2000). Oakland Baseline Indicator Report. Alameda, CA, UCCE.
- Go, C.; Cupertino, P. (2000). Our Kids Project: Elementary School Report. Alameda, CA, UCCE.
- Charles Go (2018) 2018 National Youth Summit on Agri-Science opened eyes of CA teens to how agricultural science applies to their daily lives. UC Delivers
- Beth Hecht, Charles Go (2018). BAYER and 4-H: Science Matters. National 4-H Council website. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=SoPR-0G-A3E
- Charles Go, Gemma Miner, JoLynn Miller, Steven Worker, Car Mun Kok, Dorina Espinoza, and Nicole Marshall-Wheeler (2018). "CALIFORNIA 4-H ADULT VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE STUDY: WHO, WHAT ROLES, AND TRAINING NEEDS." Technical Report - UCANR 4-H Developing Volunteer Capacity Workgroup
- Charles Go, Marisa Neelon (2018) Project 4-H2O Provides Free Zero Calorie Education and Option at Sugartown Festival. UC Delivers
- Charles Go, Marisa Neelon, Angela Shields, Abril Delgado, Ashley Farrell, Cathy Tang, Naya Murdock (2018) Project 4-H2O Tips Sheets. National Drinking Water Alliance - Spotlights
- Charles Go (2017) Alameda 4-H improves the financial literacy of 4th and 5th-grade students. UC Delivers
- Charles Go, Marisa Neelon, Angela Shields (2017) California High School Students Successfully Advocate for Hydration Stations. National Drinking Water Alliance - Spotlights
- Beth Jensen(Correspondent), Charles Go (2015). Tri-Valley: 4-H keeps up with the times. Contra Costa Times. Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, Contra Costa Times. http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_28005537/trivalley:-4h-keeps-up-with-the-times
- Go, C. (2012). "Putting Youth on the Map." from http://pyom.ucdavis.edu.
- Go, C.; Lesica, S. (2011). Incarcerated youth blossom while working with 4-H, Master Gardeners. UC Delivers.
- Go, C. (2011). Money Talks: Program improves financial literacy of teens. UC Delivers.
- Go, C.; Lee, J. (2008). Take Aways! : From the Cambodian Research Project. Alameda, CA, UCCE.
- Go, C. (2008). UCCE facilitates teen conference about sexual exploitation of youth. UC Delivers.
- Go, C. (2007). Alameda County Sexually Exploited Minors Safe House: Report and Recommendations. Alameda, CA, UCCE.
- Go, C.; Cupertino, P. (2001). Oakland Our Kids Project Key Findings Series: Factors that Influence Adolescent Suicidal Behaviors. Alameda, CA, UCCE.
- Izu, J.; Go, C. (2000). Safe Passages: Safe and Supportive Middle School Environments Project. Alameda, CA, West Ed.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Career/College Readiness & Workforce Development - Chair
- Developing Volunteer Capacities - Chair
- Money Talks - Member
- Science Education and Extension - Member